This is our travel journal, a record of the adventures with the children where ever that may be.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

On RVing

(Daren) Three weeks into our RV adventure, I'm starting to get a feel for what the RV lifestyle is all about and if you've seen the movie "RV" starring Robin Williams you will get a glimpse of it but not the full story. Yes, as in the movie, full-time RV'rs are generally a very social and happy bunch of folks. They like to socialize and be reeeaall close to each other, they enjoy checking out each others RVs, they like to drink, and they love to show off their pets. Today we are camped out at a potentially nice campground right on the bay of Fundy in the lovely resort town of St. Andrews by the Sea, would be nice, but we're packed in here like the sardines we saw in the herring weirs today on our exciting whale watching cruise. EVERY other camper here has at least one pet, and we're not talking just dogs. Our neighbor behind has a full grown macaw, loudest thing- to our starboard side we have 3 lovely french poodles (one of which likes to sleep on the dashboard of the bus-at first I thought it was just an ornament thingy but it jumped up and yelped when I got within 10 feet like it was a doberman. Then to our port side we have a large man with sunglasses and a very ornamental purple silk jacket walking his little shitzu, what a site! Nothing however compares to the camper that Dan had at his place last year- a man with 6 dogs, 3 cats, 3 cockatoos, and a monkey! A regular travelling rv zoo. Sorry Jack but you're not ever camping with us--one of us Guillory's must retain his dignity! This evening we were entertained at the campground by the travelling Stage Stompers and my what a group they were, led by the famous Trevor Lord- a real Michael Flatley wannabe. Well, all I could think of as I sat along side the hundred or so other campers in my lawnchair, coveting every precious sip of the one beer I brought, was God, I'm actually here, if my brother-in-law Sal could just see me now! So, this is the real RVing at least the kind that most RV'rs do and it works out just fine for them, as I said, everyone is always happy. But for me, I prefer the getaways and the remote empty state parks that don't have all the hookups and big rigs, dry camping they call it--that's for me. As for being an RV'er well, I've taken jabs from my buddies about the whole thing and I deserve every one of them, but in the end I'm just a happy camper too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home